Ethics in Counselling Course Detail (Includes Supervision)
Schedule: Full Course (including Ethics and Supervision)
Please note: ACCT members: The training offered below meets the Association of Co-operative Counselling Therapists standards.
Start Date: October 13th,2017
End date: April 28th, 2018
Weekend Skype classes (included in this course)
Oct. 28th and 29th, 2017
Nov. 18th and 19th, 2017
10AM - 4PM Pacific time
- Recognize an ethical dilemma or issue in multiple counseling situations.
- Broaden awareness, through a process of reflection and exploration, of one’s own personal and professional values, as well as ethical positions, on a variety of issues;
- Know when and how to refer.
- The student will have a clear framework for the exploration of issues.
- Guidelines to defined boundaries and recognize boundary violations.
- Learn questioning processes to bring clarity to issues.
- Who to include in the ethical decision making process.
- Where to go to access a deeper understanding of how to move towards resolution of issues that serve the best interest of the client and counselor.
- Be aware of the importance of sensitivity in applying ethical concepts and principles.
- Recognize the potential of and possibly prevent an ethical dilemma in specific situations in a counseling practice.
- Understand the importance of being familiar with the current Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice in the counselors Counseling Association.
- Prepare students to develop and design a professional Informed Consent Form for a variety counselling situations.
- Prepare students to address ethical issues related to suicidality, and End of Life Decisions. Including:
- No suicide/no harm contract template, No suicide contract template.
- Augment the students professional identity as a counsellor;
- Reaffirm the importance of ongoing professional development.
- Advance an appreciation of supportive practices including supervision and consultation.
- 90 hours of Supervision will offer students ongoing support in their work with individual clients working with a wide variety of issues and concerns:
- Stress, anxiety, depression, childhood trauma, trauma, relationship problems, making changes, health issues to name a few.
- Ethics of Social Media - impact on the counselling relationship.
- Homework Hours
- 90 hours of Supervision - requiring students to keep records and notes of each individual client session, including therapeutic analysis.
- 18 instructional hours (Skype Live Classes)
- 2 hours out of class personal exploration questions.
- 4 weeks to complete Essay Questions and 30 Exam Questions (within the total course hrs.)
- 2 hours personal exploration questions between the 1st and 2nd week.
- Method(s) of Student Evaluation* Seminar format – online group.
- Question and answer
- Class discussion
- Case studies
- Breakout groups – students Skype each other to explore an in class question in a small group.
- In class questions
- Exam Essays
- Exam Questions
- Homework questions
Full participation in the two weekends
80% average mark overall.
Upon successful completion student's receive a certificate of completion from Orca Institute. Graduate students of Orca Institute's Hypnotherapy Diploma program will receive a Diploma as a "Counselling Hypnotherapist".
If a course applicant has previous counselling and/or supervision experience they can challenge on those sections of this course. If successfully they could qualify for a reduction in course fees and would not have to complete the section in which they have successfully challenged. Please contact the Director to do this.
We offer the following variations of our Ethics Course in respect to challenges and payment plans.
- HP400 Full Ethics incl. 90Hrs. Supervision ($1295.00)
HP400 Full Ethics incl. 90Hrs.Supervision ($500.00 Down+$397.50 x 2 Months)
- HP400 incl. Ethics + 45Hrs. Supervision ($950.00)
Payment plan: ($450.00 Down+$250.00 x 2 Months)
- HP400 incl. Ethics + 25Hrs. Supervision ($695.00)
- HP400 Ethics Course Only (if applicant has successfully challenged supervision) $595.00
For those only needing Supervision hours we offer two types of Supervision, Indirect Supervision and Direct Supervision.
HP400 Indirect Supervision
Throughout these sessions the Instructor is available if the student has any questions and contact is usually made with the student about every 2 weeks initiated by the supervisor/instructor. There is also communication when the student submits their 2 videos of actual sessions for evaluation. This would apply to all students with the exception of those doing under 25hrs. of supervision. They would submit 1 video. Upon successful completion students will receive a detailed letter of Completion
Direct Supervision meets the criteria of various associations and schools which might require supervision to be done as a combination of working with clients under indirect supervision and direct supervision with a qualified supervisor (can be done through Skype or in person).
Indirect Supervision Only
$12 per Hr. (up to 25 Hrs.)
$45.00 per Hr. plus Indirect Supervision Fee above.