Counselling Skills Diploma
Welcome to Orca Institute's Counselling Therapy Training and Certification page.
Our Counselling Skills program is 8 months and 770 hours in duration and can be completed entirely online at your own pace. The program fee is $8700.00, with interest-free payment plans available. Books are approximately $900.00 Please scroll down for our detailed course outlines.
We are excited to announce our collaboration with Opening to Grace Training, which allows OTG graduates to receive training recognition and course exemptions towards our Counselling program.
Potential students can challenge any of our courses, based on prior learning and if successful, would receive credit and the corresponding fee would be Pro-rated.
Did you serve in the Canadian Armed Forces and plan to attend Orca Institute? If you have at least six years of service, you could be eligible for funding from Veterans Affairs Canada to cover your tuition and other expenses. Learn more
Government Financial assistance is available for eligible students who are Canadian citizens or landed immigrants, through the Canadian and provincial government student loan programs. Apply to Student Aid BC, or go to the Student Aid website for your Province or territory.
This program has been approved by the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Training. For all courses taken individually, these programs do not require approval by the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Training. As such, PTIB did not review those individual courses.
We have moved to Moodle! What's Moodle?
We have recently transitioned to using Moodle, the world's most widely used learning platform trusted by institutions such as the London School of Economics, State University of New York, Microsoft, and the Open University.
As an Associate School with ACCT, Orca Institute is offering this program to meet ACCT's RTC (Registered Therapeutic Counsellor) membership requirements.
We recommend that our graduate students become members of ACCT.
Please call us at 604-900-1245 or
ACCT Membership Benefits
- Offers members low-cost liability insurance
- Client's Private extended medical insurance plan coverage (depending on plan and company)
- Be well-positioned for possible Counsellor Regulation in BC and other non-regulated provinces.
- Qualifies members to advertise in Psychology Today and Counselling BC.
Counselling Skills I
- Basic Counselling Skills (30hrs.)
- Clinical Assessment (20hrs.)
- Note Taking - Record Keeping (30 Hrs.)
Counselling Skills II
- Abnormal Psychology (30hrs.)
- Ethics in Counselling (30hrs.)
- Family Therapy (30 Hrs.)
Counselling Skills III
- DSM-V (30hrs.)
- Group Therapy (30hrs.)
- Trauma/Recovery (30hrs.)
Counselling Skills IV
- Theory and Practical Group Therapy (30hrs.)
- Person-Centred Therapy (30hrs.)
- Foundational Ideas (30hrs.)
Counselling Skills V
- Cultural Nature of Human Development (30hrs.)
- Gestalt Therapy (30hrs.)
- Narrative Therapy (30hrs.)
Counselling Skills VI
- Multi-Cultural Counselling Pt. 1 (45hrs.)
- Multi-Cultural Counselling Pt. 2 (45hrs.)