Basic Hypnosis Training (Certification Program)
Online Basic Hypnosis Training (HP202)
This 285-hour part-time distance learning course takes place over 7.5 months (about 10 hours per week), allowing the student to have more flexibility in managing their busy schedule or to complement their work commitments. It is the first third of the Diploma course.
This course can be taken from anywhere in the world through our Virtual Classroom. Students are required to complete 6 weekends of live classes (about one weekend per month online on Zoom). A Basic student can seamlessly switch into our Diploma Course at any time.
Course fee: $1985.00 CAD plus $150.00 CAD (approximately) for books (payment options)
Please note: It is recommended for students to be a member of the IACH (International Association of Counselling Hypnotherapists) upon registering for our courses. The cost of registration is $75.00 CAD, apply here.
HP202 - Basic Hypnotherapy Certification
This Basic Certification training provides the student with an excellent grounding in basic hypnosis and counselling skills as well as the ability to apply these skills in a therapeutic client-therapist relationship. Much focus is placed on professional ethics and respect for the integrity of the client.
Students are also taught to work within their field of competence. The course is taught from a holistic or mind/body approach rather than from a purely psychological perspective. This allows for great leeway in touching on many related areas and in the ability to show how hypnosis is part of a much larger picture integrating many complementary approaches.
- Hypnotherapy Skills I
- Basic Counselling Skills
- Hypnotherapy Skills II
- Hypnotherapy Skills III
- Basic Supervision
- Basic Hypnotherapy Certificate Exam
To be purchased by the student:
- Therapeutic Trances: The Cooperation Principle in Ericksonian Hypnotherapy by Stephen Gilligan, PH.D.
- Skilled Helper A Problem-Management Approach to Helping by Gerard Egan
- Exercises in Helping Skills The Skilled Helper by Gerard Egan
Included in this Course:
- Basic Hypnotherapy Course Videos (45 Hrs. Online - included in the Video Manual)
- Hypnotherapy Course Manuals (Online)
- Student Manual (online)
- 6 live weekend Classes on Zoom
Support is provided throughout the training by phone, Skype, Zoom and/or e-mail. We have an active private Facebook group for our past and current hypnotherapy students and teachers.
The following is a detailed outline of what each section of the training program covers.
Hypnotherapy Skills I
The intent of this section is to give the student a basic grounding in traditional hypnosis skills using "direct" methods. In addition to basic hypnosis skills, the student will also learn how other complementary approaches such as Yoga, Breathing, Meditation, Chi Kung, Acupuncture Theory, Chakras, Huna and Kinesiology integrate with and complement hypnotherapy.
As is common throughout the complete program, the focus is on experiential learning. Two manuals written by the instructor, Sheldon Bilsker, HT, RCC are used in this course.
Hypnosis and Related Topics Covered:
- History of Hypnosis, Defining Hypnosis,
- Synonymous terminology, Conscious, Sub-conscious, Super-conscious,
- Self Hypnosis techniques and other methods,
- Subjective and objective experiences in trance,
- Physiological response to stress, Suggestibility tests,
- Comparing direct and indirect approaches, Developing effectiveness,
- Techniques of hypnosis (progressive relaxation, count, fascination, fractionation, arm levitation, confusion, rapid induction and guided imagery),
- Deepening the trance (deepening techniques, levels of consciousness), Depth testing, Abreactions, Affirmations, Ideo-motor response,
- Wording of hypnotic suggestions, Representational systems, Anchoring, Vipassana Meditation.
Basic Counselling Skills
The Basic Counseling skills course is based on the textbook and workbook by Gerard Egan. Aimed at helpers, the text emphasizes the collaborative nature of the therapist-client relationship and using a practical, three-stage model that drives client problem-managing and opportunity-developing action, leads readers step-by-step through the counselling process, while giving them a feeling for the complexity inherent in any helping relationship.
As readers master the various steps of the helping model, they should be able to improve their competence and confidence measurably. Students practice communication skills and each of the steps of the model in private before practising them in actual helping interactions with others.
Hypnotherapy Skills II
The main focus of this course is on Ericksonian Hypnosis, based on the work of Dr. Milton Erickson. The concept is that once students have begun to master direct methods of hypnosis, they can begin the process of learning the more versatile and subtle form which is Ericksonian Hypnotherapy.
Ericksonian Psychotherapy and Philosophy, Client-centred Approaches and Philosophy, Jungian Approaches are just some of the areas students will begin to be familiar with. Students will begin to acquaint themselves with various counselling approaches that include: empathy, unconditional positive regard.
Using stories and metaphors with counselling and hypnotherapy enhances the student's opportunity to move fluidly in a session from intake to deciding on the best hypnotherapeutic approach, including suggestions and finally bringing the client out of trance (hypnosis).
The broad base of multi-level communication skills that students learn serves to enhance their ability to be "absorbed" in the therapeutic moment and really hear, see and feel what the client needs. The experiential aspect of this course includes demonstrations of various methods as well as students practising with each other. The students will get feedback from one another as well as from the Instructor.
- Ericksonian definitions of hypnosis and hypnotherapy
- Principles of Ericksonian hypnotherapy
- Induction approaches
- Major steps in hypnotic inductions
Key Modalities of Ericksonian Hypnotherapy
- Metaphor and stories
- Embedded suggestions
- Directing the client's attention inwards
- Non-verbal pacing and leading
- Accessing a previous trance state
- Informal hypnotic induction
- Client intake
- Body of the trance
- Hypnotic suggestions
- Bringing a client out of trance — post hypnotic suggestions
Hypnotherapy Skills III
The intent of this course is to allow the student to incorporate skills that they have acquired in a psychotherapeutic context. This is accomplished by having students work with each other on real issues under supervision in class as well as working with "clients" outside of class. We feel that the opportunity to be in the client role as well as the therapists can be a valuable learning experience and provide a different and important perspective.
This format allows the student therapist to be guided throughout the course in a safe and supportive environment. Also touched on are areas not covered previously such as addictions, bulimia, abuse, hypoglycemia, etc., recognizing the symptoms and knowing "when to refer" as well as creating a business plan and how to promote. The evaluation consists of observation of the student through our Virtual Classroom and verbal feedback.
The basic supervision is taught through indirect supervision of student-conducted practice sessions. Students will conduct sessions with actual clients (approx. 6 clients, 5 sessions each) and videotape one session. Progress will be supervised by the instructor as it proceeds. The student's hypnotherapy and counselling skills will be critiqued for further refinement and accuracy.
Our weekend classes include some structured learning combined with a focus on specific areas from student interests.
This can include:
- Hypnotic Inductions
- Counselling and Hypnotherapy
- Taking what the client brings and creating a hypnotherapy session
- The beginning, middle and end of a session
- Tone and Pacing
- Metaphors and Stories
- Self-care for the therapist
These are just some of the modules offered in the classes. Each of us is a teacher and a learner. We each bring life experience, wisdom from other teachings and our uniqueness; our class time is made richer by what we all bring."
Resident Hypnotherapist Certificate
The following is a list of program requirements:
- Successful completion of all course assignments
- Reading all required texts and manuals (45 hrs. of video included in manual)
- Completion of a total of 30 client sessions (1 session video recorded and submitted)
- Successfully passing a multiple choice and one essay exam
- Attending 6-weekend classes
Upon successful completion of the required assignments and final exam, the student will receive a Resident Hypnotherapist Certificate.
More Questions: See our FAQ's page or feel free to call Sheldon at 604-808-3703.