Hypnotherapy Training Diploma (Complete)
Online Hypnotherapy Certification Training Diploma (HP301)
Our Counselling Hypnotherapist Diploma program (HP301) is intended for students looking for professional Counselling Hypnotherapy certification training. If you are currently in a health care practice and want to expand your skillset or are looking for a new career as a Counselling Hypnotherapist this program meets those needs.
This course can be taken from anywhere in the world with an internet connection and you can start at any time (courses are ongoing) through our live Zoom classes. Students are required to attend a minimum of six live class weekends (about one per month).
Please note: A Basic Certificate student can seamlessly switch into this Diploma Course at any time.
Course fee: CAD 4400.00 plus CAD 250.00 (approx.) for books
Please note: It is recommended for students to be a member of the IACH (International Association of Counselling Hypnotherapists) upon registering for our courses. The cost of registration is CAD 75.00, apply here.
HP301 - Counselling Hypnotherapy Diploma (Includes our Basic Certificate course - HP-202)
This comprehensive 7.5-month training program prepares the student to be proficient in hypnotherapy, counselling and various complementary approaches. After completing all of the required assignments successfully of the Basic hypnotherapy course the student receives a Resident Hypnotherapist Certificate.
The second part of the program focuses on advanced hypnotherapy and counselling skills. The student acquires a more sophisticated skill set which enables them to work with a broader range of therapeutic modalities. Upon the successful completion of the advanced course requirements and exam, the student receives a Counselling Hypnotherapist Diploma (Cand.).
The Counselling Hypnotherapy Diploma program consists of:
- Hypnotherapy Skills I
- Basic Counselling Skills
- Hypnotherapy Skills II
- Hypnotherapy Skills III
- Basic Supervision
- Resident Hypnotherapist Certificate
- Advanced Hypnotherapy Skills
- Advanced Counselling Skills
- Clinical Supervision
- Counselling Hypnotherapist Diploma
- 6-weekend classes (approximately 1 weekend per month)
To be purchased by the student:
- Therapeutic Trances: The Cooperation Principle in Ericksonian Hypnotherapy by Stephen G. Gilligan
- Skilled Helper A Problem-Management Approach to Helping by Gerard Egan
- Exercises in Helping Skills The Skilled Helper by Gerard Egan
- Choices: Interviewing and Counselling Skills for Canadians by Bob Shebib
Included in this course:
- Course manuals (online)
- Course videos (95 hours) (built into the course manuals)
- Student Manual (online)
- 6 Live Weekend Classes (Zoom)
Support is provided throughout the program by phone, Zoom, Facebook and e-mail. We have an active private Facebook group for our past and current hypnotherapy students and teachers. Support is provided in how to set up and promote a Hypnotherapy Practice cost-effectively.
Hypnotherapy Skills I
This section intends to give the student a basic grounding in traditional hypnosis skills using "direct" methods. In addition to basic hypnosis skills, the student will also learn how other complementary approaches such as Yoga, Breathing, Meditation, Chi Kung, Acupuncture Theory, Chakras, Huna and Kinesiology integrate with and complement hypnotherapy.
As is common throughout the complete program, the focus is on experiential learning. Three manuals written by the instructor, Sheldon Bilsker, HT, RCC are included in this course.
Hypnosis and Related Topics Covered:
- History of Hypnosis, Defining Hypnosis
- Synonymous terminology, Conscious, Sub-conscious, Super-conscious
- Self Hypnosis techniques and other methods
- Subjective and objective experiences in trance
- Physiological response to stress, Suggestibility tests
- Comparing direct and indirect approaches, Developing effectiveness
- Techniques of hypnosis (progressive relaxation, count, fascination, fractionation, arm levitation, confusion, rapid induction and guided imagery)
- Deepening the trance (deepening techniques, levels of consciousness), Depth testing, Abreactions, Affirmations, Ideo-motor response
- Wording of hypnotic suggestions, Representational systems, Anchoring, Vipassana Meditation
Basic Counselling Skills
The Basic Counseling skills course is based on the textbook and workbook by Gerard Egan. Aimed at helpers, the text emphasizes the collaborative nature of the therapist-client relationship and using a practical, three-stage model that drives client problem-managing and opportunity-developing action, leads readers step-by-step through the counselling process, while giving them a feeling for the complexity inherent in any helping relationship.
As readers master the various steps of the helping model, they should be able to improve their competence and confidence measurably. Students practice communication skills and each of the steps of the model in private before practising them in actual helping interactions with others.
Ericksonian Psychotherapy and Philosophy, Client-centred Approaches and Philosophy, Jungian Approaches are just some of the areas students will begin to be familiar with. Students will begin to acquaint themselves with various counselling approaches that include: empathy, unconditional positive regard.
Using stories and metaphors with counselling and hypnotherapy enhances the student's opportunity to move fluidly in a session from intake to deciding on the best hypnotherapeutic approach, including suggestions and finally bringing the client out of trance (hypnosis).
Hypnotherapy Skills II
The main focus of this course is on Ericksonian Hypnosis, based on the work of Dr. Milton Erickson. The concept is that once students have begun to master direct methods of hypnosis, they can begin the process of learning the more versatile and subtle form which is Ericksonian Hypnotherapy.
The broad base of multi-level communication skills that students learn serves to enhance their ability to be "absorbed" in the therapeutic moment and really hear, see and feel what the client needs. The experiential aspect of this course includes demonstrations of various methods as well as students practising with each other. The students will get feedback from one another as well as from the Instructor.
- Ericksonian definitions of hypnosis and hypnotherapy
- Principles of Ericksonian hypnotherapy
- Induction approaches
- Major steps in hypnotic inductions
Key Modalities of Ericksonian Hypnotherapy
- Metaphor and stories
- Embedded suggestions
- Directing the client's attention inwards
- Non-verbal pacing and leading
- Accessing a previous trance state
- Informal hypnotic induction
- Client intake
- Body of the trance
- Hypnotic suggestions
- Bringing a client out of trance — post-hypnotic suggestions
Hypnotherapy Skills III
This course intends to encourage the student to incorporate current skills and continue to develop and refine new approaches. This is accomplished by having students work with each other on real issues under supervision in class as well as working with "clients" outside of class. We feel that the opportunity to be in the client role as well as the therapists can be a valuable learning experience and provide a different and important perspective.
This format allows the student therapist to be guided throughout the course in a safe and supportive environment. Also touched on are areas not covered previously such as addictions, bulimia, abuse and hypoglycemia. recognizing the symptoms and knowing "when to refer" as well as creating a business plan and how to promote. The evaluation consists of observation of the student through our Virtual Classroom and verbal feedback.
Basic supervision is taught through indirect supervision of student-conducted practice sessions. Students will conduct sessions with actual clients (Total of 30 sessions) and videotape one session. The instructor will supervise progress as it proceeds. The student's hypnotherapy and counselling skills will be critiqued for further refinement and accuracy. Students will also be required to observe a variety of sessions on video conducted by the instructor.
Resident Hypnotherapist Certificate
Upon successful completion of the required assignments and final exam, the student will receive a Resident Hypnotherapist Certificate.
Advanced Hypnotherapy Skills
In this section of the course, the instructor will focus on the more subtle aspects of multiple level communication and how it applies to Ericksonian hypnosis as well as counselling methods. There will be an opportunity for the student to observe the instructor working with students online as well as, lecture and discussion on topics relating to advanced and specialty areas of hypnotherapy.
Advanced Counselling Skills
The textbook used in this section is "Choices" by Bob Shebib. The assignments in this textbook will cover the following:
- Relationship building, exploring/probing, empowering and challenging.
- Basic concepts of ethics, values, and self-awareness.
- Examining the helping relationship and considering the core conditions necessary for counselling to be effective.
- Active listening skills.
- Active phase skills.
- Working with various populations.
- Cultural differences
Supervision is taught through student conducted practice sessions. Students will conduct an additional 30 sessions with actual clients and video record two more sessions for evaluation. The instructor will supervise progress as it proceeds by communicating with the student through telephone, Skype, Zoom or e-mail.
The student's hypnotherapy and counselling skills will be critiqued for further refinement and accuracy. Students will also be required to observe a variety of sessions on video conducted by the instructor and others.
Our weekend classes include some structured learning combined with a focus on specific areas from student interests.
This can include:
- Hypnotic Inductions
- Counselling and Hypnotherapy
- Taking what the client brings and creating a hypnotherapy session
- The beginning, middle and end of a session
- Tone and Pacing
- Metaphors and Stories
- Self-care for the therapist
These are just some of the modules offered in the classes. Each of us is a teacher and a learner. We each bring life experience, wisdom from other teachings and our uniqueness; our class time is made richer by what we all bring."
Counselling Hypnotherapist Diploma
The following is a list of program requirements:
- Successful completion of all course assignments
- Reading all required texts and manuals (100 hrs. of video included in manual)
- Completion of a total of 60 client sessions (3 sessions video recorded and submitted)
- Successfully passing a multiple-choice and two essay exams
- Attending 6-weekend classes
Upon successful completion of program assignments, the student will receive a Diploma as a Counselling Hypnotherapist (Cand.).
Also, the student will be eligible to become a Counselling Hypnotherapist (Cand.) with the International Association of Counseling Hypnotherapists (IACH).
According to IACH standards, a practitioner at the Counselling Hypnotherapist (Cand.) level can work in areas such as smoking, weight, stress, sports, self-esteem and phobias. Areas of practice such as obesity, abuse, PTSD and other similar areas are restricted unless the practitioner can show specific training in a particular area or they are working under the auspices of a physician. Please see IACH Standards for more detail.
More Questions: See our FAQ's page or feel free to call Sheldon at 604-808-3703.